There are many advantages to this approach for the management of the cancer patient:
- Lower drug doses lower risk of adverse effects
- The adverse effects are much milder and often stop by themselves
- Monitoring of the patient is less intensive and less frequent, reducing the number of visits to the vet
- The cost is lower, as many of the drugs are relatively cheap and given at lower doses
- Development of resistance is less common as the treatment is designed to target normal cells (of the blood vessels and immune system) which are less likely to become resistant.