Common Poisons and Household Dangers
Poisons and household dangers
Dogs are frequent victims of poisoning due to their scavenging nature, whereas cats are generally more selective about what they eat. In addition, well-meaning owners will occasionally, accidentally give poisonous products to their pets without realising the potential implications.
What should I do if I suspect my pet been poisoned?
If you suspect your pet has eaten something toxic, the first thing to do is contact your Vet. They will let you know whether action is required.

If your pet has eaten a drug or chemical please try to work out how much of the product was left in the packet and always try to bring any packaging with you to the surgery – this is very useful in helping the Vet to work out if a toxic dose has been consumed.

If your pet has been sick it is important to note whether there is any of the product in the vomit.
Potential dangers
Prescription medications
You should never give human drugs to animals (unless specifically prescribed by your Vet). Our pets are much smaller than us, so are easy to overdose. They also they have very different metabolisms, meaning small amounts of substances which are perfectly safe for us, may be deadly to them. The worst offenders for this are over-the-counter medications such as paracetamol and ibuprofen. If your pet accidentally ingests your prescription medication, please contact your Vet immediately for advice.